Assorted Geese?

LLCoyote

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting geese in the near future. I can't really decide on the breed and I'm thinking about doing the 'assorted straight run geese' feature at efowl. My problem is, don't geese usually pair off for life? How will this affect them? I wanted Sebs but we might be moving to MI and I'm scared they may just freeze to death! Help! What are some good breeds? Some hardy ones that are also very friendly with a good bit of personality? Thanks for the help!

I LOVE my Americans and the Embden that came in the Bargain Assorted from Holderreads. I ordered them to keep the one Saddleback Seb that hatched company. They are BEAUTIFUL birds. Friendly and fun. Of course next spring might be different...and they poop all over the cement driveway. Acres of grass, a one acre pond and they lay in the drive way. ugh.

Personally I like the Sebs best. They are very friendly and have fun personalities. I would not worry about them in the weather any more so than any other goose breed. The breeder I got my goslings from lives in MI and they get along just fine.

I have Tufted Roman's, Tufted Buffs, Sebbies and 2 young Embdens and I love them all. Of the breeds I keep the Embdens seem to make the most noise. My adults range from 1 to 4 years old no aggression in any of them. Protective of their babies and eggs but no biting and chasing of humans. Twenty Four dream birds - love em. A few years ago I kept White and brown Chinese and they showed a lot of aggression by a year and a half of age and one of the Ganders never missed an opportunity to bite me or a member of my family. During this time I picked up my first tufted Roman and fell in love with geese all over again. I re-homed my Chinese and ordered more Roman's the very next Spring. No regrets - They bring me so much peace it's hard to believe.

Joni

So do you like the romans better than the Sebs? I know a lady personally in my state that sells sebbies and usually that's how I like to buy because I can discount any cruel to the animals but sebs are very expensive and I don't want to spend 60 or 70 a hatchling that dies on me. I'm so torn I want BOTH!
lol.png
Ever since my ducks I'm walking on a water fowl love cloud

If you want Sebbies, get Sebbies.

Geese live for a very long time. Why not get the ones you want right off the bat?

Provide them with a shelter so they can get out of the wind and make sure they have water that isn't frozen. Lots of people in the northern states raise geese.

I like them equally well. Sebbies are fun to look at but so are the Roman's - they have their own style and elegance as a breed. Both breeds are quiet here on my farm and as I stated earlier - I've seen ZERO aggression in these guys. I hope you enjoy your geese as much as I enjoy mine. They really are wonderful creatures! I love the parenting skills and family bonds that they exhibit. Truly awesome.

Joni

Back
Top Bottom