Assumed hawk attack

Cierrascoop

Songster
Sep 24, 2022
I was out of the house running errands today and my husband came to me when I got home and notified me that something got one of my chickens not long ago. I go to the scene where my silky rooster is playing dead in the leaves. Likely stressed. He's totally fine now. I'm assuming a hawk had attacked my olive egger because he said as soon as he came out it was gone. Her feathers were all over and she was there standing. She's still walking, eating, drinking but limping. So I checked her wound and under her wing is totally raw. No feathers or skin. And a puncture wound. I cannot take a photo because to hold her and take the photo is impossible, but it is bad looking. I have no idea how she is acting so normal aside from her limp...what can I do? Is there any hope to get her back to normal?

Puncture wounds can become abscessed in a day or two. I would use hydrogen peroxide one time on the puncture wound to foam out any bacteria. One the other wounds, and after the first time with the puncture, use chlorhexidene, saline, or a wound spray such as Vetericyn, and when dry apply plain antibiotic ointment twice a day after cleaning. Keep your chickens secured in their coop and run incase it comes back. If it was a raccoon or cat, it will be back. Hawks usually go after the bantams or chicks, but they can kill on the ground. Gamecams are great for seeing what is coming around the coop.

Pictures really are needed, especially with a puncture wound. Put her somewhere dim and room temperaturish and if she let's you without too much struggle, wash the wound gently to see how the damage is
I did wash the wound out and put triple antibiotic on it. I know, I wish I could get a photo but I just can't tonight. It was really hard to wash it out and put medicine on it alone. At least not until tomorrow after my oldest daughter gets home. She probably could take a photo for me and help me re-evaluate the wound and clean it again.

I did wash the wound out and put triple antibiotic on it. I know, I wish I could get a photo but I just can't tonight. It was really hard to wash it out and put medicine on it alone. At least not until tomorrow after my oldest daughter gets home. She probably could take a photo for me and help me re-evaluate the wound and clean it again.
Okay. Keep an eye on it, but don't go poking and prodding if she shows she doesn't like it. In the morning, see if you can take a sniff

Puncture wounds can become abscessed in a day or two. I would use hydrogen peroxide one time on the puncture wound to foam out any bacteria. One the other wounds, and after the first time with the puncture, use chlorhexidene, saline, or a wound spray such as Vetericyn, and when dry apply plain antibiotic ointment twice a day after cleaning. Keep your chickens secured in their coop and run incase it comes back. If it was a raccoon or cat, it will be back. Hawks usually go after the bantams or chicks, but they can kill on the ground. Gamecams are great for seeing what is coming around the coop.
I did put peroxide on the entire wound. The raw part and the puncture wound. Nothing fizzed up much at all. I am thinking it was a hawk. We haven't had any issues for a while since all of my birds got big and we got a very large roo. But, it's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Don’t use the peroxide again. It can help once with a puncture wound, but it will prevent wound healing with more use. Let us know how she is tomorrow. Try to get ber drinking fluids, and offer some scrambled egg and a bit of wet chicken feed.

Don’t use the peroxide again. It can help once with a puncture wound, but it will prevent wound healing with more use. Let us know how she is tomorrow. Try to get ber drinking fluids, and offer some scrambled egg and a bit of wet chicken feed.
Thank you for that, I appreciate it. I will update more tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom