1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Assuming this was a hawk?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KDH, Dec 15, 2010.

1. KDH

KDH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    We lost our first chicken today, our only black Jersey giant. We're very sad; she was so sweet. We have about 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground. No tracks around her (so not a land moving killer), but feathers everywhere - like an explosion of feathers. We're assuming this was a hawk, but wouldn't a hawk fly off with its kill? Frankly, I would have thought our girls were a bit big for hawks to tackle... but it's winter, heavy snow cover... the raptors are hungry. Sigh. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There is no way that a hawk can fly off with a chicken that size. It sounds very much like a hawk kill, and the hawk will return tomorrow. Keep your chickens locked up.

3. Danny39

Danny39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Ohio
    I vote Falcon, lost 2 hens several weeks ago to a falcon. (seperate days) One bantam and one full size bird. Left them both behind, mostly ate the head and neck clean and a little on one side. I have seen it (falcon) in the tree's above my coop on 2 different occasions, so the chickens are just staying in the coop until I can cover there very large run or let them out only when I am around. So sorry for your loss.

4. KDH

KDH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    We have a lot of hawks in the area, but they've never bothered the chickens (pastured with free access in and out of their coop). Then again, we've been hammered with lake effect snow and I'm sure the hawks/falcons/eagles are getting hungry enough to try prey they wouldn't otherwise. Tomorrow, we're moving our four remaining GLW hens onto our screened in back porch.

5. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I've lost 3 full size hens (BO, EE and speckled sussex) in the past month to a large redtail, one just today. They are all locked up for the rest of the winter . Unfortunately, the run is 100 by 200' and no way to cover . Right now they are back in the extra horse stall and we'll have to build a small coverable run for them in the spring. I locked them up after the first 2 losses and let them out 10 days ago but the hawk came back......

I have to agree... Keep them locked up because it will be back

6. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    We lost a BR couple of days back. Same MO. Pile of "splashed" feathers. No apparent dismemberment except hold under the crop and missing feathers
    around crop and lower area. This is first time we are raising and first time losing a chicken. Whole family was sad.

7. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm sorry for you lose, know the feeling. It could be many things as you mentioned hawks, falcons, vultures maybe ? Out here where I live, I've got alot of on foot and flying predators including possums. Best of luck to you and for your girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by