1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At 3 weeks can you tell pullet/roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clemson11, Mar 12, 2009.

1. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    I have a 3 week old RIR I think might be a Roo.. Is their any way to tell at this stage?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not with certainty, but usually the cockerels have thicker legs than the pullets, even before the comb turns pink.

3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Just curious. What do you mean by the comb turning pink? I have RIRs and am curious about this as well.

4. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    You usally can.

5. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    chicken master, How can you tell?

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I have only a few dozen as reference, but after my first 7 boys, I've gotten pretty good about telling the gender of my orps.

I prefer at 2-3 weeks to watch the wattle development... nothing is foolproof of course... but I've noticed that the boys so far, have a part in the fuzz; a line of skin showing through, very clearly and perhaps even a little growth.. while the girls still look very much like chicks in the face and have little to no part in the fuzz for the wattles at that age.

but that is just so far... who knows! Not to mention sometimes, the just look bigger, act like roos and even start to crow early! LOL

7. lil'chickies

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I'll keep my eye on the first orps, they will be 2 weeks tomorrow! I'm still trying to figure out what is meant by the comb turning pink?

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    RIRs you should be able to tell at 3 weeks, 4 weeks for sure!! Been there, done that!

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Look at the pic. of grown hens. Their combs are very red and large. Combs of young hens are usually a pale shell color on RIR. The boys will usually be a bit larger and a little darker shell pink color than the girls. Also as they age the comb progresses to a deep stawberry color esp at the bottom of the comb. Hope this helps Jean

10. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I have one that I decided was a roo ( [​IMG] ) at about 4 days! He has big feet and stocky legs, he walks differently than the rest (less of a waddle, more steady). And he always has his head poked up right off the bat when I walk in the room. He has also lowered his head and given the "I'm gonna kick some butt" look. I hope I'm wrong, but these all seem like signs to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by