At a loss as to the breed?

HamEggCheese

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Mason City, Iowa
This chick was an extra from the hatchery. I have looked over the breeds available from the Hatchery site. The pics they have are limited so I was wondering if anyone would know the breed and is it to soon to tell if it is a hen or roo as it is only 5weeks old??

Thanks in advance for the help.
John Richards
Mason City, Iowa

This chick was an extra from the hatchery. I have looked over the breeds available from the Hatchery site. The pics they have are limited so I was wondering if anyone would know the breed and is it to soon to tell if it is a hen or roo as it is only 5weeks old??

Thanks in advance for the help.
John Richards
Mason City, Iowa

Golden laced wyndotte and looks like a roo

Last edited:
Well it does seem reasonable if two of you think the same breed. I wondered about it being a roo as it's comb and wattle started to show and turn red about a 1 1/2weeks ago. Uffda!! plus it was a freebie tossed in. At least my neighbor will be happy!! lol He was upset I didn't order any roos!!

Thanks again for your help.

John

John
From what I understand that is very common for the hatcheries to throw in roos as 'packing peanuts'! Sad that they pawn off the unwanted on to paying customers! It covers them for losses so they would only have to refund the difference paid between pullet and roo if a pullet died! Good luck with your chickers I have a hatchery box coming next week so who knows what "extras" I'll end up with!

Back
Top Bottom