Mystery Chicken Breed and Gender

Kayanndi

Hatching
Nov 27, 2023
Hi everyone! First time chicken owner. I bought 8 chickens back in September, from Myer Hatchery in Ohio, and 7 of the chickens were specific breeds I ordered, but I also bought a bonus chicken from their discount bin. It is now 12 weeks old, and I have no idea what breed it is, or if it's even a hen! The hatchery said all the chicks in the bin were female but this chicken is so much bigger than my others, and I'm not sure if it's because of whatever breed it is, or if it's because it's actually a roo! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

20231127_102438.jpg
20231127_102455.jpg

20231127_102632.jpg
20231127_102726.jpg

From Meyer, she's either a Blue Copper or Blue Birchen Marans. You should eventually start seeing colored feathering come in on her neck, either copper colored if she's Blue Copper or silvery-white if she's Blue Birchen. I do believe she's a pullet at that age with that little development in the comb and wattles.

There's a slight possibility that she's an olive-egger instead, as I believe Meyers uses several different crosses to produce their olive-eggers. But, I would expect to see a crest if that was the case, as the only combination that would produce a bird like this, one without a beard or pea comb and with blue feathering, is Marans crossed to Legbar. However, if she lays olive eggs, then, well, I guess that's your answer!

Welcome to BYC, by the way! :frow

From Meyer, she's either a Blue Copper or Blue Birchen Marans. You should eventually start seeing colored feathering come in on her neck, either copper colored if she's Blue Copper or silvery-white if she's Blue Birchen. I do believe she's a pullet at that age with that little development in the comb and wattles.

There's a slight possibility that she's an olive-egger instead, as I believe Meyers uses several different crosses to produce their olive-eggers. But, I would expect to see a crest if that was the case, as the only combination that would produce a bird like this, one without a beard or pea comb and with blue feathering, is Marans crossed to Legbar. However, if she lays olive eggs, then, well, I guess that's your answer!

Welcome to BYC, by the way! :frow
Thanks for the info! Taking this into consideration I did go and check out the Meyer website, and looking at the photos they have, I think my money will be on the blue copper. But I guess I'll find out for sure in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom