At a loss.... for eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kab, Sep 19, 2011.

1. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    So, I have officially caught the Chicken Bug! [​IMG]

I, unfortunately, did not do all my homework prior to spending my money on some absolutely beautiful birds.

We were adopted by 3 Longhorn hens. We wend out and bought 2 (1 now -- unknown breed) pullets from a local farmer and 1 rir hen (we think) and her 10 children from another farmer. We have kept them apart for approximately a month. No one, thankfully, appears to have any diseases. So, we decided to put them all together in their final coop in order for them to get use to the area and also decide on the final pecking order.

Here is my issue, prior to moving into the new coop the 4 hens were providing us with approximately 3 eggs a day. We moved them to their new coop approximately 3 days ago and have had zero eggs from any of them.

What is wrong? What can I do to get them back to normal?

Thanks for any help / advice.

2. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Give them some time to adjust to their new surroundings (and additional company). They will start laying for you again.

3. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Oh that is such good news! I was hoping they would adjust -- I was just starting to get worried.

Do chickens get "egg"-stipated? Is is possible?

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I agree with the others, time. They can be finicky! [​IMG]

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:[​IMG]

There are a lot of posts on hens getting egg bound. I have luckily never had to deal with it myself.

IMO it is the change of having new roomies that has them off schedule.

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] And welcome to the club. Alot of us seem to not be getting our normal egg amount. I am at a loss as to why.

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Any time you move a chicken it may take up to 2 weeks for them to get back to production. I think a lot of chickens are cutting back on laying due to decreased light hours. Do you have a light in your coop?

8. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Oh holy crap! They can get egg bound -- Now something else to worry about.

My landlord, who has been nice enough to allow us to have the chickens, re-purposed his lawnmower shed for the chickens. The back and two sides are wooden and the front is open with chicken wire on it. Do you think this allows enough light?

Thank you all again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by