At first glance, which roo is "better"

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I have a request in to the library to get me a copy of the SOP from other regional libraries, but in the mean time, I really need to pull two of these roosters in a separate pen. I am hoping that I wont have to switch roosters again, so which of these roosters is the "best" to keep with my female faverolles?

All the following salmon faverolles roosters pictured are in the same general spot in all of the photos. The one on the far right has slightly darker hackle/saddle feathers. The one in the back is larger than the other two (not sure one weight, need to get scale). The one in the back normally has nice saddle feathers, but he is the low man on the totem pole and they got plucked out (he's a big softy with the ladies, easiest to handle, and has the biggest beard).

The two others normally do have black beards, the one in the foreground has some white in with his beard.

All of them can probably use some more leg feathering, but my ladies have super fluffy feet, so hopefully traits pass to them.

I am not sure on comb status.

The one on the far right is kind of a jerk.

They all have 5 toes, but they are in different positions. One cockerel sticks straight up, another they are functional gripping toes, and the third its like an offshoot of the 4th toe at the base.

1000015438.jpg

1000015439.jpg

1000015440.jpg

1000015437.jpg

The one on the far right is kind of a jerk.
At first glance, without even considering the breed, I would remove this one.
I don't know enough about the breed to give an opinion on the other points.

They all have 5 toes, but they are in different positions. One cockerel sticks straight up, another they are functional gripping toes, and the third its like an offshoot of the 4th toe at the base.
That's an interesting amount of variety there. I would hope the standard gives some guidance, when you get it. (If I were writing the standard, I know which one I would call for, but that doesn't tell anything about what the standard actually says.)

That's an interesting amount of variety there. I would hope the standard gives some guidance, when you get it. (If I were writing the standard, I know which one I would call for, but that doesn't tell anything about what the standard actually says.)

In my lack of planning last year, I ordered eggs from 4 different breeders. 1st set hatched gorgeously, but no roosters. 2nd set were all duds. The 3rd and 4th sets I combined and didn't label them after hatch. I really wish I hadn't combined them.

Two of the hens that hatched out of that group I am not even considering because they have noticeable faults in color and body shape. (I am guessing those are from the same breeder).

I think the one in the background is from the set I am more confident in, but I am not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom