At least 12 hrs since pip and nothing! PLEASE ADVISE!!!

I would wait at least 24 hours before attempting to help. I had one that pipped and only half zipped then nothing. I had two more that pipped after her hatch. I chipped a little away at first to pop the top and could see she was stuck. She had dried in the egg and was struggling to get free. I then carefully took her to the bathroom and with the help of a pair of tweezers and warm wash rag chipped and wiped away the shell and membrane stuck to her. She was fully developed. There was no blood at all. I guess either humidity was too low or she took to long to come out. I put her back in the bator to dry and regain some strength before transferring her to the brooder. She is seemingly healthy and happy now.

I agree. After the pip, the chicks rest and convert to pulmonary respiration. This time is crucial for them. I would not consider assisting unless a pip went 24 hours with no further action.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I've been really stressed throughout this whole incubation. Temps and humidity levels were never consistent although I struggled more with humidity than with temps. I'll let ya'll know what happens.

I'm so sorry to hear that
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you....it sure is hard to lose them. I'm gonna clean and move my bator to a room that has no windows and try again. I just don't think I'll be so willing to help next time. I helped one of my silkie girls last year and she's fine, although smaller than the other two.

Back
Top Bottom