At least I don't smell . . .

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lengel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I copped jury duty for a really long time (several months) and we got to know each other in the break room. Thought I had made a few connections which is rare for me.

Just a note: I don't wear makeup or jewelry. I hit the clearance racks at Macys just to get a decent wardrobe for this whole thing. Didn't spend too much but everything is brand new and I am acceptably dressed.

It seems I have talked about my chickens a few times. Someone else brought up the subject of free range eggs yesterday and I started talking about the pros and cons. At some point, I realized that a few people were looking at me really oddly. One brought up the "labor" involved and I cracked a joke about not spending much on my wardrobe. And this is what followed:

"Yes, but you don't smell."

I thought she was joking so I said something about changing before I came in. And another woman chimed in:

"No, I noticed that too. You really don't smell."

I guess that daily shower and doing laundry helps out - what with having those "foul" chickens and all.

Remind me not to take names and phone numbers at the end of this.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Hey, Don't knock that compliment! lol Mabe they have run into a lot of smelly people lately, and are truly grateful you smell so sweet! Or you could just wink at them and say "wearing deoderant under both arms works wonders!"

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I can say I have never received this compliment. Should I reconsider my deodorant? [​IMG]

5. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Thanks for lightening up that experience. Given their manners, I was wondering if they were born in a barn (as my mother used to say).

Really, though, who says that?

6. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Good grief, what a tacky thing for someone to say. I guess the Joneses don't keep chickens then. [​IMG]

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Quote:[​IMG] I just told my kids that yesterday when I found wrappers on the floor.

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I thought you were supposed to use the "born in a barn" saying when somebody left a house door open? Granted, I'm quite new to country living but I need some clarification. Why would bad manners and littering be attributed to barn life? Please educate me.

9. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Oh good heavens, I would have to go back and ask why they thought I would smell. Just to find out why they said such a stupid thing.

Granted, I do have a pair of jeans i prefer to wear out to the coop to do chores and I use them a few times before washing. The other day I forgot to take them off and went out for a few hours. Guess what? I could smell the stinky jeans. I was embarrassed for myself and went home ASAP and tossed them in the wash.
    So I guess its people like me who give people like you the Stinky Title! Sorry.

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:[​IMG] I just told my kids that yesterday when I found wrappers on the floor.

I think the "do you think your living in a pig sty" would have been more appropriate here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by