At the end of my rope!

I called today and left a message about the process to get an IEP started. We have always been discouraged from doing that before, but I guess it is the only way we are going to get the help that we need.

Sonorian Silkies - I am sure that you are right and that there are good ones out there. Unfortunately NC doesn't have a very good reputation for having many of them and the one that services my children is certainly not one of the good ones... so I guess I should have said OUR public school is awful... because it really is. Trust me I have the conversation pretty much every day.. "Why did you make this choice, what prevented you from doing X, what do you need from us to help you do what needs to be done, what choice could you have made, what would have made this situation turn out differently." The thing is that I wouldn't even call her extremely rebellious. She just kinda floats along on cloud 9 most of the time. She is just out on a different plane of existence than everyone else and nothing really seems to touch her.

bkreugar - I was surprised also. I know that the binder/notes are important and that they place a great emphasis on them but I really thought they would get a little more time to adjust before they kicked her out. I thought that part of what they were supposed to be doing was working on building those skills and guiding her into how she can take the notes and deal with the binder the right way. She was not part of the Avid program last year because she was identified AIG and you can't be in Avid if you are AIG. We took her out of AIG so that she could be in Avid. The biggest concern that I have now is that they didn't take her out of AlgebraI or English 9 so she has those harder classes and she doesn't get the advantage of the tutorial classes that everyone else in the class will have. I am afraid that this is going to hurt her even more.

For those who suggested her spending some time by herself that is just not an option. My husband was a law enforcement officer and a 13 year old boy here was home from school sick for a few hours by himself and someone broke into his home, my husband responded to that call and had to explain to that mother the horrible things that had happened to her child. He was only supposed to be by himself for 2.5 hours until his dad got home. I just don't trust this world anymore, and with her being quite immature I don't want to take the chance that she makes the wrong decision and something really bad happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom