At what age and weight does a Coturnix get the tag Jumbo?

kahlertm

Songster
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Durango, Colorado
If I am selectively breeding and keep choosing for a heavier bird....at what age and weight can I start calling that Coturnix stock Jumbo?

Original Coturnix normal female adult weight is what? 5 -6 oz

Looking at hatching eggs from a Coturnix egg seller who claims females average 9 oz (didn't specify at what age).

Thanks,
Tonya

I think 9 oz is gonna be a honest weight of a average jumbo. This would at 8 weeks + or - ...This is where mine were at 8 weeks. Bill

Your birds are borderline, they are not jumbos at a certaint age. If the parent stock are big then most of the offspring will be big.

Really, when did you lower the standard.

THe current standard being 10 oz at 6 weeks to 14 oz at 7 weeks. This standard was reset by the Texas A&M Whites for use of commercial purposes. You can look it up by searching Diamond Ranch.

Adult weight for breeders and is not of concern for earning the name of Jumboes or Giants. However, they need to be BIG to produce Jumbos or Giants.

So if they aren't pushing 10- 12 oz at 6 weeks, you have more selecting to do and further to go. Makee um earn that name, so they can be proud of it.

Good to see a post from you Buttercup... I got your eggs in the bator simmer'in as I type. I incubate in cartons and the regular clear plastic ones were too small for these eggs. There 1\\2 again larger than the butler eggs I got off Ebay. I remember you breaking down what weights were considered jumbos and giants and the ages, but could'nt remember the details. Was gonna skim back co-op post for the info but did'nt. Bill

THe current standard being 10 oz at 6 weeks to 14 oz at 7 weeks. This standard was reset by the Texas A&M Whites for use of commercial purposes. You can look it up by searching Diamond Ranch.

??? WHAT STANDARDS ARE THESE AND WHERE ARE THEY?​

http://agecoext.tamu.edu/fileadmin/econimpact/MKT3557M.pdf

This
is a link I have found on the subject. I am still researching and will provide more given Buttercup's lead on the Diamond Ranch.

Thank you Buttercup. Do you have any other leads that support your numbers so that I can be an informed consumer?
I can't even bear to weigh my very first hatched little coturnix. She is practically a Button quail she is SO tiny. But she lays every day. This is going to take some work and really selective egg purchasing.

Robo, I don't want this to be a debate. I respect all of you and want to compare notes on what people are producing and purchase from those that are producing bigger quail and bigger eggs. Also I want to purchase from people who are breeding for good color.

Please, lets make this discussion NOT the mobi quail thing, and the lets work together to sell to people like "newbie me" a good product.

SO.....any more links to research, documentation or any information on standards or average weights would be very helpful. I really dig you guys and respect your input, when it is kind and encouraging = educational. Which you guys ARE to me.

Respectfully,
Tonya

Back
Top Bottom