At what age can chickens start to free range safely during the day?

Above you got advice about risk tolerance. We used to let out girls range in a 20’ x 50’ fenced area. Over 4 years we have lost have a dozen pullets and hens to predators. Hawks, maybe fox. And yesterday this guy got caught in our home made bird netting. I managed to free him and he flew away. We are in the suburbs of Boston.
I also free range, lose a couple every year. There is no practical way to secure acres.

My hatchlings get their own pen and run outside at around 3 weeks, and join the main flock free ranging between 8-9 weeks.

I've lost more birds to crushing injuries and the like (I also have ducks, and goats, in the same pasture) than I have to predation - but it does occasionally occur.

Note, ducks - particularly male ducks - and chickens should NOT occupy the same space. Yes, I do it, but I have a pretty unique situation. For most people, duplicating my experience and conditions is impractical and/or unrealistic. I'm not sure where, exactly, the line is drawn between acceptable and not - but if you have the choice, DO NOT DO IT.

Good to know you’re happy for them to free range around nine weeks old. Sounds like some of mine are old enough for some supervised freedom!

Nice that you can keep ducks. If I had the space and water for them, I get some call ducks in a heartbeat 🦆💖

Good to know you’re happy for them to free range around nine weeks old. Sounds like some of mine are old enough for some supervised freedom!

Nice that you can keep ducks. If I had the space and water for them, I get some call ducks in a heartbeat 🦆💖
I have pekins - late to lay, and infrequent at that, but tasty tasty eggs, good dark meat, make great mayo. and quiche. and angel food cake. and lemon curd. and hollandaise. and every other thing that you can do with the culinary miracle that is an egg. PASTA! :)

I have pekins - late to lay, and infrequent at that, but tasty tasty eggs, good dark meat, make great mayo. and quiche. and angel food cake. and lemon curd. and hollandaise. and every other thing that you can do with the culinary miracle that is an egg. PASTA! :)
Pretty birds 😍

Back
Top Bottom