At what Age can ducks go outdoors to freezing weather?

This question has been asked before but never truly answered.

I have two 4-week-old ducklings that have outgrown every container I have including the kiddie pool and changing the litter daily is getting to be a huge mess. If this was summertime, I would let them outside at this time (fenced yard, with a duck coop (20watt heater, no door on entrance)

The problem is, in this part of PA the lows are in the 30's right now and likely to dip to 20's in a couple of weeks. WHEN can I safely let my ducks outside? Am I safe to do it at 5 weeks? 6 or 7 weeks? even longer than that?

I am looking for answers from other cold-climate duck people. any little bit of info helps. thanks! (the ducks are Rouen/crested)
I don't really know about ducks, but maybe if you need to buy a heater for the coop, just put it on their bill!

Turtle_BadJoke.png

I know it's a old post but... my ameraucana/ blue laced red wayndote chicks are 6+ weeks and cayuga/ welsh harlequin ducklings are 4+ weeks. I live on whidbey island Washington. Chicks went outside a week ago. Ducklings went out side last 3 nights. No heat lamp for anyone. I do cover the enclosures for wind and sun block. I move the enclosures every morning at feeding. They will be moving into the chicken/duck tractors as soon as I move them from my friends place, can't wait. Maybe it sounds harsh but my philosophy is that I want to raise cold weather animals that do well naturaly foraging and being in the elements as well as raising young. egg production a +. Minimal babysitting from me :D. I like the concept of survival of the fitest :hmm true for me this time they arnt as friendly as my first birds( they would fly to me on comand) but these are also to be meat someday so maybe it's best they just tolerate me:(.View attachment 1771816 View attachment 1771817 View attachment 1771818

Back
Top Bottom