At what age can geese (and ducks!) free-range?

debir1966

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Central Idaho
NEW to ducks and geese - our 2 geese and 3 ducks are 12 weeks old.

We free-range our chickens, turkeys and guineas - and I mean, free range (no fences). We coop everyone up at night, they free-range during the day only.

At what age can geese and ducks safely free-range?

Right now we have them in a hoop coop. For the first few days, they could come back to the hoop coop at night, but I would like to train them to come back to either the chicken coop or another building. How do you train them to coop-up at night, especially to a new building?

Can you use electro-net safely with geese and ducks? I would like to use electro-net to fence in a larger pen for them during the day to have more room until they can free-range fully. It is not poultry net, it is sheep/goat net. Could I still use it for the geese and ducks?

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Debi R.

NEW to ducks and geese - our 2 geese and 3 ducks are 12 weeks old.

We free-range our chickens, turkeys and guineas - and I mean, free range (no fences). We coop everyone up at night, they free-range during the day only.

At what age can geese and ducks safely free-range?

Right now we have them in a hoop coop. For the first few days, they could come back to the hoop coop at night, but I would like to train them to come back to either the chicken coop or another building. How do you train them to coop-up at night, especially to a new building?

Can you use electro-net safely with geese and ducks? I would like to use electro-net to fence in a larger pen for them during the day to have more room until they can free-range fully. It is not poultry net, it is sheep/goat net. Could I still use it for the geese and ducks?

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Debi R.

With some supervision geese and ducks can free range when they are feathered out. Those birds in the picture certainly are old enough. I do not free range. I have lost too many birds that way and now that we are in town thats no longer an option.

With a new building I would lock them in until they get used to the location. From there I'd have a temporary run of sorts for a few days.

I am not familiar with electo-nets, but I'd think that if it were designed for goats/sheep that the current would be too strong or can the voltage be turned down?

Thank you nchls school!

We set up the electronet today, however, it is not plugged in and so far they are staying in it. I am not sure if it would be too hot, it is one of the ones they sell for poultry (as well as other animals like sheep and goats) at Premier1.

I am hoping they stay inside without the need to turn it on, I am just not super comfortable with letting the have access to full free-ranging yet!

I think once they have been in in the electronet for a week, we will move it (and them) to their new house area inside the electronet for a week or two, then I should be ready to let them free-range once they are familiar with their new house and going up at night in it.

Back
Top Bottom