At what age can I give a gosling new foods like peas, cracked corn, fruit?

Ephyra

Songster
Apr 13, 2019
Hi!

I have a 13 day old gosling. He eats Mazuri Waterfowl Starter. He also gets grass and romaine lettuce but he doesn't really like the romaine lettuce. It's so hard to find info - at what age is it safe to introduce foods like cracked corn, barley, peas, fruit, oats etc? Thanks so much!

IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1049.PNG

I have mostly read that you should just offer greens and only adult geese get grains during laying season. But I am only a prospective goose owner, so don't quote me. Mostly I am chiming in because nobody else has and I am interested in the answer myself.
:idunno

Actually it’s better just to keep your little one on its feed and let it graze some soft grasses. That way it’s getting proper nutrients. And remember to always off chick grit when introducing any other food besides it’s starter. They have to have grit to process it since they haven’t teeth to chew. Precious little one:love

Actually it’s better just to keep your little one on its feed and let it graze some soft grasses. That way it’s getting proper nutrients. And remember to always off chick grit when introducing any other food besides it’s starter. They have to have grit to process it since they haven’t teeth to chew. Precious little one:love

Thanks so much! Great info. Should I limit the amount of grass? It really helps because it gives him something to chew, but I wouldn't want it to be taking the place of important nutrients!

Is it 8 weeks that I switch from Starter to Maintenance? Is this the point that I can offer new things, or not until he's fully grown?

Thank you!!

You can offer a few things now but keep it min so your gosling eats the feed more like probably 5% treats like shredded Romaine and chopped grapes and of course chick grit just a small bowl close by feed they use it as needed. Keep the corn for when older since it’s low in nutrients. If you can find wheat you can offer that too just make sure it hasn’t been sprayed.

Hi!

I have a 13 day old gosling. He eats Mazuri Waterfowl Starter. He also gets grass and romaine lettuce but he doesn't really like the romaine lettuce. It's so hard to find info - at what age is it safe to introduce foods like cracked corn, barley, peas, fruit, oats etc? Thanks so much!

View attachment 1756981View attachment 1756982
Here is what i found and follow. It works great! We have African geese and they are thriving.

Goslings and ducklings are ready for feed and water when they arrive. Use crumbilized chick or poult starter for the first week to 10 days. A pelleted grower ration plus cracked corn, wheat, milo, oats or other grain can be fed after this time. Keep feed before the birds at all times.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom