at what age can i introduce the babies with the older quail

necys nature

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
I have a batch of baby quail who are about 3 weeks old, however, the ratio doesn't even out with males to females. I have older quails who are about 7 months old, where I have room to introduce more baby females to older males, is this do able? I only have my quail as pets/ egg layers, so im trying to figure out how to even everyone out , male to female ratio. I have Japanese coturnix

I have a batch of baby quail who are about 3 weeks old, however, the ratio doesn't even out with males to females. I have older quails who are about 7 months old, where I have room to introduce more baby females to older males, is this do able? I only have my quail as pets/ egg layers, so im trying to figure out how to even everyone out , male to female ratio. I have Japanese coturnix
I would wait until they are matured and ready to mate. The females may not take well to the matured males if they aren't old enough and the same with the males and the adult females. They may get picked on. I've heard 1 male to 3 to 5 females is preferable. I have 1 to 1 ratio currently because they are all that's left and I don't plan to get more.

I would wait until they are matured and ready to mate. The females may not take well to the matured males if they aren't old enough and the same with the males and the adult females. They may get picked on. I've heard 1 male to 3 to 5 females is preferable. I have 1 to 1 ratio currently because they are all that's left and I don't plan to get more.
Thank you. I was thinking on waiting until they were mature enough to mate, but not quite sure if it would work. In on cage I have one on one and was hoping to introduce more females in that cage later on. do you think they will get bullied at first but eventually be accepted?

Thank you. I was thinking on waiting until they were mature enough to mate, but not quite sure if it would work. In on cage I have one on one and was hoping to introduce more females in that cage later on. do you think they will get bullied at first but eventually be accepted?
It could go either way! There's no telling sometimes there's no bullying and sometimes the older female will be alittle mean to the new girls and the males to the males or even females. The current pair I have now we're introduced at different times. My female was about 3 months old and the male was 6 weeks when I put them together. She wasn't having him and would chase him and wouldn't let him mate. Then the next day they were "in love" and have been together ever since. Now they are 3 years old. Whenever I clean the area or take one to hold the other is calling for their partner. I dread the day one passes I know it won't be easy for whoever is left.

It could go either way! There's no telling sometimes there's no bullying and sometimes the older female will be alittle mean to the new girls and the males to the males or even females. The current pair I have now we're introduced at different times. My female was about 3 months old and the male was 6 weeks when I put them together. She wasn't having him and would chase him and wouldn't let him mate. Then the next day they were "in love" and have been together ever since. Now they are 3 years old. Whenever I clean the area or take one to hold the other is calling for their partner. I dread the day one passes I know it won't be easy for whoever is left.
Awwwee... I know the feeling!! xoxo

Back
Top Bottom