At what age can you sex a cochin by looks?

Thank you so much for your opinion on them. I thought for sure they were both boys. Then I thought I had one of each, and now I'm leaning towards both girls. I have never had bantams before so I'm not sure if their development is the same as standard size or a little different. Il keep an eye out for color. Thank you

1658083901872.png

Can anyone help a first time white cochin mom? Ingrid is 4 weeks and one day in this pic. Is it too early to tell is she? Might be Igor instead? 😆

Looks like a pullet. Update with a new pic in 2 weeks.
Whew! Thanks...will do! She had me worried, cuz I caught her actin' a little roo-ish...but maybe the other 6 varied chicks(who are all acting rooish) are just chestbumping everything they see 😝 she doest LOOK terribly rooish. Just acting like it a little...she was bumping back at em. 🤪

Whew! Thanks...will do! She had me worried, cuz I caught her actin' a little roo-ish...but maybe the other 6 varied chicks(who are all acting rooish) are just chestbumping everything they see 😝 she doest LOOK terribly rooish. Just acting like it a little...she was bumping back at em. 🤪
I used to have a pullet that you'd swear was a cockerel by her temperament toward other chickens. Temperament really isn't a good way to sex.

1660611944863.png

1660612019301.png

Ok here's Ingrid at 8 1/2 weeks. She looks very feminine to me...and is so quiet and gentle, that I'm really convinced shes a girl, but I wanted some expert verification...if thats possible at this age...do we still think pullet? 🤞🤞🤞

View attachment 3224584
View attachment 3224585
Ok here's Ingrid at 8 1/2 weeks. She looks very feminine to me...and is so quiet and gentle, that I'm really convinced shes a girl, but I wanted some expert verification...if thats possible at this age...do we still think pullet? 🤞🤞🤞
At 8.5 weeks, you've got yourself a cockerel. I know that some LF Cochin pullets comb up a bit early, but that's a LOT of red too.

Thank you for the update. This is exactly why I ask for updates later when they're a bit young. Sometimes 2 weeks is all it takes for that difference to show.

At 8.5 weeks, you've got yourself a cockerel. I know that some LF Cochin pullets comb up a bit early, but that's a LOT of red too.
thaaaaanks...that's two of my dreams you've crushed today! ;-) ...care to go for a third and fourth with my black astrolorp and buff brahma? (NO DONT!!! 😫) LOL! I love your sig quote! Too funny!

Back
Top Bottom