At what age can you....

HuginnsMuse

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
Lil ol' Rhode Island
So, I've three questions.
1) When should I switch from chick feed to Grower/Layer Feed?
2) Any tips for sexing birds? My shipment was dropped and my Fry Pan barngains (Meat roo's) got all mixed up with my egg layers. (See bellow) SO not only are my breed's all mixed but so are genders. I had to separate some of the big chicks from the smaller (only two weeks old and a huge difference)
3) Should I keep DE in a dusting box inside the coop full time to prevent lice/mites? Anything good to mix in with it? I'd rather prevent it now vs have to deal with it later. No they arn't outside yet... but I think the bigger chicks are only a couple weeks off, what do you think?
Sorry, no idea what breeds they are >.> Huge mix from Meyers...

I couldn't resist also posting a photo of my Polish reject. I'm hoping it's a little hen, and have already named her Gaga (Friend commented Buff Polish look like Big bird gone drag) I'm happy she lived as she was shoved in for just warmth and not what I ordered, but is bloody cute!

I'm feeding Purina Start and Grow unmedicated. I am just down to maybe 2-3 days left of my bag and wondering what to move/use next. Either keep using it, use medicated, or take the next step up. I'm leaning toward one or two more bags though.

Welcome! Start with chick feed, at about six weeks of age gradually transition to grower, and when the pullets start laying eggs, either stay with grower plus separate oyster shell, or change to layer with oyster shell on the side too. I'm not a fan of DE, certainly not for chicks, as it's bad for anyone to breathe. You are going to have lots of fun identifying your chicks!!! Go to feathersite for pictures, compare to the hatchery breeds list, and enjoy. Mary

I'm feeding Purina Start and Grow unmedicated. I am just down to maybe 2-3 days left of my bag and wondering what to move/use next. Either keep using it, use medicated, or take the next step up. I'm leaning toward one or two more bags though.
Start and Grow unmedicated is good to 18 weeks.

Oh I dont mean to put DE on them now, but when they are old enough to go out into the coop. I live in the worst part of the state for flea/tick issues and not sure if that could also add into mites/lice and other pest nasties that could get in. Better safe than sorry type of deal. We'd switch out DE for wood ash the moment we start our summer fires.

So six weeks at the minimum for the feed then, and perhaps play it by ear with their size as there is a difference in opinion when to start weaning them off of it?

The problem is you were not clear in your first post. Currently you are feeding your birds a "Start AND Grow" not a Starter Feed. A Starter Feed is only good for 5-6 weeks. A Starter Grower Feed is good to 12 or 18 weeks depending on the brand. The brand you purchased is good for 18 weeks. You will not need to switch feeds at all until your birds begin laying eggs at which point you would switch to a layer crumble.

Back
Top Bottom