At what age did your hens stop laying eggs?

based on my small amount of chicken knowledge, i believe it's going to depend very heavily on the breed. I've heard hens lay best in their first year but I also know that production layers tend to lay amazingly for a year and then pretty much stop being healthy in general. so I suspect healthy hens that lay less in general will lay longer overall.

based on my small amount of chicken knowledge, i believe it's going to depend very heavily on the breed. I've heard hens lay best in their first year but I also know that production layers tend to lay amazingly for a year and then pretty much stop being healthy in general. so I suspect healthy hens that lay less in general will lay longer overall.
Unlike chickens, quail don't have breeds. There are different species, but most of the pretty colours that people mistake for quail breeds are usually colour variations of coturnix quail.

You'd think posting in the quail forums would be enough but this happens a lot ;)

Although I'm sure I saw someone once had a coturnix roo that lived to be about 9 years old

I probably should have specified quail hens, although I sure would love to get 7-8 years out of them!
Lol, yes, sorry. When I click newest threads, it just show titles, not what section it's in. Quail are mice of the poultry world as far as I'm concerned, the grow fast, breed fast and die fast. A little over 1 year sounds right.

Unlike chickens, quail don't have breeds. There are different species, but most of the pretty colours that people mistake for quail breeds are usually colour variations of coturnix quail.
oh my god I saw this in new posts and didnt realize what thread this was in
I apologize

Back
Top Bottom