At what age do BCM start to lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrylife, Oct 12, 2009.

1. countrylife

countrylife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mo
    I searched and read a million posts and can not find an answer to this simple question [​IMG]

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Well their is no simple answer to your question no 2 birds are the same...Mine started to lay at 21 weeks and some take up to a year depends on your line the bird ect... Hope this helps.. [​IMG]

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I was told from the (very nice BYC'er [​IMG] )lady I bought mine from that for her it had been around 6 months of age.

My BCM pullets are 5 months old (almost to the day) and are not laying yet.

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:So how often do you check you nesting box? [​IMG] I used to look daily knew it was gunna be any day when their combs were real red... [​IMG]

5. countrylife

countrylife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mo
    Mine are from a flock that came directly from Jesse Bryant line (8 pullets and 4 cockerels) and some from Davis (7 pullets and 3 cockerels) these birds are about 13 weeks old. Just the timing I was looking for [​IMG]. Hopefully they will all mature out to be awesome birds, they are looking good so far color coming in very well, conformation looks great also, hope eggs look as nice as the birds do!
    I also have 3 Ron Presley 3wk old, looks like 2 pullets and 1 cockerel

Thanks for the info!!!!

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Never LOL. Mine took nearly a year and are pitiful layers at that. One egg about every three days. I am a little aggravated at them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by