At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Pics
If you want to know when they will lay, then check thier pelvis bones. Put the chicken in your hand and feel it's rear end. If you feel three prominent bones close together, then do not expect eggs for a few weeks, if the bones have separated, then expect eggs soon.
Good luck!
smile.png

After 26 weeks and one day, we finally have our first egg!

Still, of the three birds, all the same age, only one is squatting and showing any interest in the nest box. When they were all chicks, Jenny, the one who is laying now, was the runt and so much tinier than the other two. And now she's all grown up!

Last edited:
After 26 weeks and one day, we finally have our first egg!

Still, of the three birds, all the same age, only one is squatting and showing any interest in the nest box. When they were all chicks, Jenny, the one who is laying now, was the runt and so much tinier than the other two. And now she's all grown up!
YEA!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
The others are going to start soon to! I just know it! CONGRATS!!!!

We finally got one! Our gal is almost 10 months old, but December 1st, there we go! (& one every day since!)

We finally got one! Our gal is almost 10 months old, but December 1st, there we go! (& one every day since!)
YAY!!!!! CONGRATS!!!
celebrate.gif
Mine when they started laying I got one every other day but that was with the RIR's. I think the Aussies started laying and didn't miss a day. I'm getting anywhere from 8-10 a day now from my 15 hens. I think 2 of the rir's laid out though because they've been laying awhile now.

I forgot to come post when they started laying! Bad me!! Anyway they started laying in November and were super consistent all through the winter! Just lost one to a raccoon Sunday and added 2 more of the same age Tuesday. Waiting for the fuss to die down from the new ladies so we can get more yummy eggs!

Hi, read this thread from the start to today....so glad to hear most are beginning to lay for you...I have BA's and love them...you will be glad to hear they may start to lay late but will be around for a long time...they have a long life cycle...get to be heavy hens and large roosters...our rooster is so majestic...he struts and flaps his wings...buuuuuut...the top rooster is a buff orpington named KING and he is that....judging by the colors of the new chicks that are hatching, seems they are running pretty close in number...so much fun, I like to think my astralorpes will be around for a long haul, they are my foundation hens and they can stay.. have a blessed Easter....G

Back
Top Bottom