At what age do Broad Beasted turkeys get Arthritis or joing problems?

PureBigBird

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Broad Breasted Turkeys males can live as long as 5 years and the BB hens can live as long as 6 years if in good care. Longest BB hen on record believe is 8 years. My BBs are 3 years and 4 months old. Two hens have a limb and one doesn't like to move around very much due to discomfort which I think is arthritis. A few weeks ago, my vet mentioned arthritis, and then today he said that the one hen was too young for arthritis--the vet has not did an x-ray or density test (is there such a thing?). How can a vet tell if there is arthritis? Would like to give the hen some medication for it. My vet flip/flops around with ideas and medication dosage and so I need the facts. The hen eats well and pants often sits often and isn't very mobile and limbs (doesn't like to move those joints)--the vet mentioned last week that "the hen might be in some pain." Now, he mentions that the hen is too young for arthritis. Confusing. Please help me to get on a course of truth--if the hen is having joint pain or inflammation and needs medication-like meloxicam, tramadol...what does it matter, as long as the hen is treated for pain? What are the associated medications for treatment based on joint inflammation and arthritis? At what age do BB turkeys get arthritis?

Back
Top Bottom