At what age do chickens molt?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sovia, Oct 10, 2008.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    If anyone could tell me at what age chickens molt, I would really appreciate it. My flock is only 6 months old, but several appear to be molting. Is this normal?

2. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Oops - so sorry. I accidentally posted this twice and don't know how to delete the other!

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    depending on when they were born, sure a six month old can molt. It usually happens in fall when the daylight is getting shorter.

4. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Looks like I double posted too, lol

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks, chickenlady. I thought they had to be around 18 months old and I was a little concerned.

6. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Normally it would be later. I did have one molt at 9 months old. Does your show any other symptoms? Is anyone maybe picking at her? What are you feeding her? Maybe we should weed everything out to try and make sure what you are seeing is a molt.

7. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    They are eating Purina Layena and a few treats here and there. I have examined them for mites/etc., but can't find anything.

8. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If you see no mites/lice, that is a good sign. Check for new feather growth and keep an eye out for any bad symptoms that may arise. Sounds like she might just be an early molter.

9. chickenlady

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If you see no mites/lice, that is a good sign. Check for new feather growth and keep an eye out for any bad symptoms that may arise. Sounds like she might just be an early molter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by