1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do chicks need grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srsmith69, Nov 3, 2009.

1. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Just hatched out 20 mixed breed chicks. They are on medicated chick starter on pine shavings. When does it become necessary to provide grit?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I don't give mine grit, but then, they only eat starter crumbles - no treats until they are older.
    As soon as I start giving them anything else (grass, lettuce, seeds, cooked scraps or oatmeal) then I give them grit too.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    So long as you keep them on finely milled feed such as chick starter you don't ever have to feed grit.

It's when you begin feeding them whole or coarsely cracked grains, green feed, or anything else that isn't finely milled or chopped that you'll want to feed them grit. For young chicks I feed a sprinkling of canary or parakeet grit at about a week old just before I begin giving them finely chopped green feed. Over time I cut the greens coarser and coarser until they can handle them whole on their own.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by