1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do chicks no longer need a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stone_family3, Aug 10, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm looking at expanding my flock and my coop doesn't have electricity so I'll need to get birds that no longer need heat lamps.

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    at about 6 weeks but it might be less if you live in a warm climate. Basically they can handle 70 degree at 6 weeks

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    When they're fully feathered, they don't need a heat supply anymore. Foe me, the chicks were feathered at about 3-4 weeks.

Many say that temperature should be 95 week 1, 90 week 2, 85 week 3, etc. I just watched the chicks, didn't measure the temperature. If they avoided the light, it was too hot there. If they clustered together under the light, they were too cold. But, they will cluster together to sleep, regardless of temp. Don't be fooled by this.

I turned off the light long before that, though, because it was warm enough already.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I took ques from my broody (we raised our chicks at the same time). I put my hatchery chicks outside in my outdoor brooder when they were 2.5 weeks old. This was in April, I think we were having temps somewhere around 75-80°. They feathered out alot faster than other chicks I had kept inside with a heat lamp. Good luck!

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I'm looking at getting an Araucana and they are 4 weeks old this week.

6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    shouldn't need a heat lamp they handle cooler temps better than warmer [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome hoping to pick up today or tomorrow. I'm so excited!

8. TarainNC

TarainNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    I am putting some eggs in the incubator this weekend,so the first week of september they should hatch. it has been a heat index of over 100 degrees for weeks here in NC. I had an old timer tell me that i would have to have heat in my coop this winter if I hatched chicks now. I usually trust him, but as hot as it has been, I don't see it getting cool until late October here.Plus our winter's are pretty mild as a general rule. Anyone have any input? They should be feathered out and in the coop by october/November.

9. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    central wv - old timers say first frost coming in 4 weeks, I have trees changing color already and today feels like fall, you'll probably be 2weeks after me

10. KayRKay

KayRKay New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    I live in the western most part of Florida near the Alabama line. We are having 55 and higher degree nights. The chicks are
    now 5 weeks old. Is it safe to remove heat lamp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by