At what age do chicks no longer need a heat lamp?

When they're fully feathered, they don't need a heat supply anymore. Foe me, the chicks were feathered at about 3-4 weeks.

Many say that temperature should be 95 week 1, 90 week 2, 85 week 3, etc. I just watched the chicks, didn't measure the temperature. If they avoided the light, it was too hot there. If they clustered together under the light, they were too cold. But, they will cluster together to sleep, regardless of temp. Don't be fooled by this.

I turned off the light long before that, though, because it was warm enough already.

I took ques from my broody (we raised our chicks at the same time). I put my hatchery chicks outside in my outdoor brooder when they were 2.5 weeks old. This was in April, I think we were having temps somewhere around 75-80°. They feathered out alot faster than other chicks I had kept inside with a heat lamp. Good luck!

shouldn't need a heat lamp they handle cooler temps better than warmer
smile.png

I am putting some eggs in the incubator this weekend,so the first week of september they should hatch. it has been a heat index of over 100 degrees for weeks here in NC. I had an old timer tell me that i would have to have heat in my coop this winter if I hatched chicks now. I usually trust him, but as hot as it has been, I don't see it getting cool until late October here.Plus our winter's are pretty mild as a general rule. Anyone have any input? They should be feathered out and in the coop by october/November.

I live in the western most part of Florida near the Alabama line. We are having 55 and higher degree nights. The chicks are
now 5 weeks old. Is it safe to remove heat lamp?

Back
Top Bottom