At what age do EE's typically lay?

Butterscotch is almost 6 months old and hasn't even investigated the nest boxes yet. Her little pea comb is a medium pink. Definitely a late bloomer! Pure Americauna from the McMurray hatchery. Here she is. By the way, can anyone tell me if she's "buff" or "wheaten" ?
35245_100_1369.jpg

Mine are 15 weeks now, I'll get some photos tomorrow morning (I'm in Toronto right now at my dads). Mine are all gold and black, but one has far more black than the others.. she was my little one, I didn't think she'd pull through on the first night she was so tiny but now she's huge and healthy.

Ohh, and some of the girls combs are starting to turn pinkish.. Mine older hens started getting pink combs earlier and everyone thought they were roos out here LOL but they all lay pretty brown eggs.

Last edited:
I have one who started laying at 15 weeks, last week, yesterday I saw 2 of them checking out the nest box. My older girls, one started at 20 and so on from there. They laid quite a few weeks before my RIR. The younger ones I have now are EE x RIR and the eggs are greenish just like their mothers even though they are red with yellow legs.

Last edited:
Very cool ams3651! .. Mine don't have access to the nestboxes currently, right now they're in a small coop within my coop with a view to the big girls through a chicken wire wall. When I get home I'll be opening up and installing a small pop-door between the two areas so they can mingle a bit.

Quote:
Mine still have access to the broody box just so they have a place to go and get away from the big girls who can be a little mean at meal time. They will actually hide around the rooster because he doesnt bother them. But they have been mingled with the older girls since they were maybe a month or so. They see the other girls using the nest box and I guess they were checking it out. Im getting extra eggs in the box but also on the floor under their roost. I also have a lower roost for them to use.

Yeah, I have a 3 tier roost with a rung right at the bottom, my big hens use the top 2 rungs and in the EE's pen they have a low roost but they actually prefer to roost on the gate at night (which is about 5 feet up). I'm starting to officially mingle them this week, I've been going in and letting the doors open so they can visit but only for a few minutes.

Mine started laying at 22 and 22.5 weeks. One has laid an egg everyday without fail, but they are smaller eggs. The other isn't as consistent. There will be many times when she'll lay an egg a day (usually medium), but then she goes an lays a double yolker and takes the next day off.

The one that lays the smaller eggs lays eggs that are bluish green. The medium egg layer's eggs are also bluish green, but they are more on the green side.

I also have some EE chicks that are too young to lay. Hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom