At what age do hens quit chirping like babies and start boking?

Quote:
If you can I would switch them to a grower or finisher and then provide a separate dish of oyster shell and if their are different ages they will take the OS as they need it. They are pretty good at knowing what their bodies need. This is what I am doing now that I have some laying and some younger hens that aren't laying yet.

I have both layers and pullets not yet laying, we feed them flock raiser for now because starter's have antibiotics in them and you can't eat the eggs from them and giving layer feed before they are laying isn't good for the pullets. I say get the flock raiser feed so the whole flock is eating the same food and have the oyster shells available as needed for them to get on their own.

My little chick is 6 weeks old now and frankly that chick voice is getting tiring. As she gets bigger, her voice gets louder and she never shuts up. is this normal? She is so demanding. Her favorite treat is grapes and she absolutely goes nuts for them. I guess the constant chirping is or more grapes. I have four older laying hens and i'm looking forward to introducing the new girl to her sisters. When i combine the flock, should the new girl be caged but in proximity for a whir?

My little chick is 6 weeks old now and frankly that chick voice is getting tiring. As she gets bigger, her voice gets louder and she never shuts up. is this normal? She is so demanding. Her favorite treat is grapes and she absolutely goes nuts for them. I guess the constant chirping is or more grapes. I have four older laying hens and i'm looking forward to introducing the new girl to her sisters. When i combine the flock, should the new girl be caged but in proximity for a whir?
Chicks don't like to be alone. It's likely that she needed a buddy.

I have both layers and pullets not yet laying, we feed them flock raiser for now because starter's have antibiotics in them and you can't eat the eggs from them and giving layer feed before they are laying isn't good for the pullets. I say get the flock raiser feed so the whole flock is eating the same food and have the oyster shells available as needed for them to get on their own.
There's no reason for your starter to have antibiotics in it. In fact, I've never seen a starter that does. You may want to check the package.

Even starters that are "medicated" don't have antibiotics in them. They have a medication in them meant to prevent a single disease, coccidiosis. The medication is called Amprolium, and it is a coccidiostat, not an antibiotic.

Amprolium stays in the chicken's gut and doesn't pass to the eggs, any way. So you could eat the eggs even if your layers got into the chick starter. They also make unmedicated starter.

Last edited:
I had this same question and searched on Google and found this thread. My pullets are 8 weeks old and still chirping. I was going to wait until they had stopped chirping to put them in with my adults, my existing flock, but if it is going to be another 4 weeks, I don't want to wait that long. I think I will add them in with the big girls -- they have already spent time in the backyard with the big girls when everyone gets to go foraging, and everyone seemed to get along then.

I have a nearly 8 week old chick. 54 days old.
Not sure yet if its a hen or a roo. Does anybody know what sounds a 2 month old pullet makes vs a 2 month old rooster when they are just starting to use their big chicken voices?

Attachments

• 20181012_233108.jpg
    20181012_233108.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 18
I have a nearly 8 week old chick. 54 days old.
Not sure yet if its a hen or a roo. Does anybody know what sounds a 2 month old pullet makes vs a 2 month old rooster when they are just starting to use their big chicken voices?
Sounds are similar, well, except for the crowing...
.....at 8 wks and that pale comb color, female.
Between peeping and clucking they often 'honk, cracks me up every time!

Sounds are similar, well, except for the crowing...
.....at 8 wks and that pale comb color, female.
Between peeping and clucking they often 'honk, cracks me up every time!
Hahahah yes out of nowhere there will be a honk type sound in between chirps. Always get my attention,so cute. But I will miss all the sweet lil chirps

Back
Top Bottom