At what age do I remove the covers from the nesting boxes??

chickmomma18

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Downingtown Pa
I currently have 10 -9 week old chicks
And 10- 7 week old chicks.

The nesting boxes are covered so they can't use them yet. What age do I take the covers off?

I usually set up nest boxes a little before hens are nearing point of lay, around 18 weeks or so. When they start getting red in the face/wattles/combs they are getting close and they'll want to be investigating the boxes ahead of time.

I've always kept mine open even at that age. They didn't sleep in them or anything they just explored them. So I'd say its fine to open them.

I've always kept mine open even at that age. They didn't sleep in them or anything they just explored them. So I'd say its fine to open them.
I agree with Farm Girl 1.

I have only my current gals, but never had to close the nests. All who showed early interest and played in and explored them started laying there. The one who showed no early interest was initially a floor layer.

I would leave them open, unless they try to sleep there.
If you decide to close them, I would reopen when the pullets are showing signs of maturity.

I agree with Farm Girl 1.

I have only my current gals, but never had to close the nests.  All who showed early interest and played in and explored them started laying there.  The one who showed no early interest was initially a floor layer.

I would leave them open, unless they try to sleep there.
If you decide to close them, I would reopen when the pullets are showing signs of maturity.

I have always left them open and today looked in the laying boxes and BAM!! Two eggs in one box. P.s. this is the first time the chickens have ever laid.

I have always left them open and today looked in the laying boxes and BAM!! Two eggs in one box. P.s. this is the first time the chickens have ever laid.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Conrats, sooooo eggciting!

I went in the chicken coop, no eggs. Went to the run and BAM! ANOTHER egg! This one is just a little smaller than a regular store bought. 3 eggs so far today and none have ever laid before!

Back
Top Bottom