1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do ringnecks start laying.

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by toejam, Feb 10, 2010.

1. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Hi late last july I bought a pair of pheasants and they were 10 wekks old. So I was wonder when they will start laying since I havent got any eggs yet.

2. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were about 9 months to a year before they started. The male needs to be in FULL COLOR to get better results.

Younger males are not as potent... BELIVE ME.. out of 30 eggs... I only got 1 good one.

3. lobojoe

lobojoe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Seattle
    As soon as your males little horns as I call them start to stick up they will start the breading process. If they where hatched last spring they will be laying eggs this spring

4. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    He has his horns and is in full color. What time in the spring will he be laying. Early mid or late

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You maybe waiting for a long time for HIM to start laying! [​IMG] Usually the hens handle that part.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    April 5th

That's when mine will be, gettin er' done.

7. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Oops I ment hen will SHE be laying.... I cant beleive i messed that up.

8. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

one of my pairs started laying in December... dont know why... but Ive got the cuttest little one...

hopefully the rest will starte in march

9. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    My first post, and was wondering the same thing. I got 3 ringnecks last July,and have watched them grow into a beautiful rooster, and hens. I'm hoping they will start laying soon, I've built an incubator and tested it for the right temps, and am waiting for the eggs now. I've made a pen from an old dog pen 6x7x10 they seem to be comfortable in it, I've put a pine tree in the pen, and they will hide in there. Wish me luck, I'll need it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  10. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    We try not to have any left after the end of March, but have a few hundred. They hatched last May
    ' thru July, and started laying about 2 weeks ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by