At what age do roosters start crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fiddleblue, Oct 19, 2009.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I have 8 chicks/pullets ranging from 6 to 8 weeks old. I am hoping none of them are roosters. I read somewhere that roosters start to crow around 6 weeks. Does anybody know if this is true, or if they can start later? By what age could I be pretty sure that, if the bird has not tried crowing yet, it is definitely not a rooster?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They can start at any age! Six weeks, eight months, you never know with roosters!

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Generally you will know if it lays an egg, its not a rooster. [​IMG] Really though, I have had some crow and were obviously roosters by 3 weeks. And I have had some that were 12 weeks or older. Many times you can tell from the feathers or the comb/wattles before they crow. Post some pics in "what breed/gender" section and everybody will give it a guess.

4. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Our first roo crowed at 3 months...

5. nursecat9

nursecat9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I have a speckled sussex rooster who is 21 weeks today. Hasn't crowed yet..but his tail is a little different from the girls, but not a whole lot. Only difference so far! I have 5 bantam cochins, all of which have been crowing since they were 5 to 7 weeks old! Go figure. [​IMG]

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

fiddleblue- What breed are they?

I had one Easter Egger chick start crowing at 6 weeks, and I was pretty sure a week and a half before that, that it was a male because it was developing so differently from the other chicks and behaving differently than any pullets I had had before.

A lady that I shared an order of pullets with and who was new to chickens didn't realize one of her pullets was actually a cockerel until it started crowing at 5 months. It is hard to tell sometimes.

I agree, post in the "what breed or gender section" some photos. Most of the time, there are other characteristics you can look for that will help i.d. them earlier. However, you can never be sure until you get an egg or crow.

7. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    My EE roo is 16 weeks and haven't heard anything other than some BERRR-BOCK!!! when he's running away from the hens and trying to protect a particularly juicy tidbit he's caught.
    [​IMG]
    He's most certainly a rooster though - saddle feathers, nice comb and all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by