At what age do Runners start laying

Pheasant283

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
SD
Have 3 runners, 1 drake and 2 ducks. I think...... They are about 12 weeks old. Just wondering how old Runners are when they start to lay?
Thanks!

Mine were about 5 1/2 months when they started laying. And they laid anywhere at first. My black and blue females lay green eggs. My F&W laid white.

Ok, so the next question is: I live in South Dakota, if it starts to get cold and wintery about the time they are supposed to start laying will they lay or wait until next spring to start? And one more question: do they lay their eggs in a nest box, or just where ever they please. They do not go in the chicken coop, and I have a dog house in their pen, but they have never went in that. So what could I set up for a nest box?

Quote:
If you keep a light on so that they get at least 16 hours of light a day....they will lay for you this fall/winter. We are using a timer for the ones we have. If you don't want to do that, then, more than likely they will start to lay in the spring.

They may lay in a nesting box if you add a golf ball or something so that they know to lay there. Otherwise i would say they will lay where ever they want especially when they start to lay. You could use storage bins.

Back
Top Bottom