At what age do the cockerels really start fighting each other?

ChickenLittle5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
TN
I have 26 chickens that are 12 weeks old. There are 17 Easter Eggers (14 pullets & 3 cockerels) & 9 Bielefelders (4 pullets & 5 cockerels). We will be giving 4 EE pullets to 4H next month assuming the sell isn’t canceled due to COVID. That will leave us with 14 pullets & 8 cockerels. I know I need to get rid of some cockerel, but I’m wondering how long I’ll have to do that before I start having serious problems with fighting. At what age do the males of these breeds really start fighting? I haven’t really noticed the Bielefelders fighting each other, but the EE do chase each other on occasion, but it looks more like “play” than “fight” at the moment. I’m hoping to wait a while before getting rid of them, so I can see their true personalities and keep the more gentle ones. Also, do you think I’ll have issues if I keep 1 EE & 1 Bielefelder with only 14 pullets? If it matters, they’re in a 10’x8’ coop with 10’x20’ covered run. I’m hoping to free range in the future, but the neighbor has a couple of naughty dogs, so I won’t try free ranging until they are fully grown.

Generally you don't see any real aggression towards each other until their first adult spring. Occasionally one is just a troublemaker, but usually cockeral get along with others they were raised with, and a pecking order is established without fighting. I see no fighting in my standard roosters. My bantam roosters occasionally go at it.

You will see excessive mating, and probably poor behaviors towards the pullets first, before you see fighting.

I start pulling males when I hear the females screaming from all their shenanigans. Generally between 3-5 months, but some can be sooner.

Generally you don't see any real aggression towards each other until their first adult spring. Occasionally one is just a troublemaker, but usually cockeral get along with others they were raised with, and a pecking order is established without fighting. I see no fighting in my standard roosters. My bantam roosters occasionally go at it.

You will see excessive mating, and probably poor behaviors towards the pullets first, before you see fighting.

I start pulling males when I hear the females screaming from all their shenanigans. Generally between 3-5 months, but some can be sooner.
Thank you! Sounds like I should have a couple more months to observe and pick the gentlemen to keep. I’ll watch for the excessive mating & aggressiveness towards the pullets. If that happens I’ll get rid of some sooner.

I have 26 chickens that are 12 weeks old. There are 17 Easter Eggers (14 pullets & 3 cockerels) & 9 Bielefelders (4 pullets & 5 cockerels). We will be giving 4 EE pullets to 4H next month assuming the sell isn’t canceled due to COVID. That will leave us with 14 pullets & 8 cockerels. I know I need to get rid of some cockerel, but I’m wondering how long I’ll have to do that before I start having serious problems with fighting. At what age do the males of these breeds really start fighting? I haven’t really noticed the Bielefelders fighting each other, but the EE do chase each other on occasion, but it looks more like “play” than “fight” at the moment. I’m hoping to wait a while before getting rid of them, so I can see their true personalities and keep the more gentle ones. Also, do you think I’ll have issues if I keep 1 EE & 1 Bielefelder with only 14 pullets? If it matters, they’re in a 10’x8’ coop with 10’x20’ covered run. I’m hoping to free range in the future, but the neighbor has a couple of naughty dogs, so I won’t try free ranging until they are fully grown.

5 months:
Crevecoeur cockerels

Back
Top Bottom