at what age do you let your chicks free range with the gang??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chemlight, Nov 12, 2008.

1. chemlight

chemlight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Rydal, GA
    I bought some chicks (3) at a sale so I don't know how old they are. I know I still can't distinguish the pullets from a cockerels yet. Anyway they look to have some RIR in them if that makes a difference. I have been keeping them in thier own cage but don't like it. I just don't want them to get hurt or lost.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would leave them for awhile to make sure no one is sick.
    I left mine out to roam at about 6 weeks

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with katrinag that you should keep them separate for at least a month to make sure no one has any illness or such.

Then, if they are the same size as your others you can integrate them together. If you are going to have them together in the coop at night or locked up at all in a run then if they are smaller you really want to wait until they are the same size. If you are just going to have them out at the same time when they are all free ranging you probably can put them together sooner. With the extra space the little ones should be able to get away from the older ones if there are squabbles.

4. chemlight

chemlight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Rydal, GA
    How big were they at six weeks? Mine have all thier feathers and and look to be half grown, but I'm a newbie and have no idea.[​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I let my 2 EE chicks free range with my hens and rooster at 11 weeks old. They pretty much avoid the adults but they still react to the adults cries of danger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by