At What Age Does a Chicken Reach it's Full Size?

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. How long a chicken takes to reach its full size depends on the specific breed. Some of the faster maturing breeds will reach their full size at 7-8 months. Other slow maturing breeds such as Jersey Giants and Brahmas can take nearly 2 years to reach their full size. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your girls.

Hi again Michael,
The breeds of my girls are in in signature, and most of them are bantams. Will this make them to grow faster? Also, at what age will they start to resemble full grown chickens (When they get their combs and wattles)?
Thank You,
El

Hi again Michael,
The breeds of my girls are in in signature, and most of them are bantams. Will this make them to grow faster? Also, at what age will they start to resemble full grown chickens (When they get their combs and wattles)?
Thank You,
El

It depends of who you ask. Some BYC members claim that their bantams have matured slightly faster than their standard sized birds. I've had lots of breeds over the past 50 years, but not lots of bantams so my experience there is somewhat limited. I personally haven't seen any real difference between the rate at which my bantams and my standard sized breeds have matured. As far as what age your pullets will start to resemble full grown chickens, it depends on the breed as some breeds mature faster than others. In most cases, pullets are fully feathered by 6-7 weeks and their combs and wattles will begin growing noticibly and, in the case of cockerels, turning a deep red. At 20-24 weeks most pullets will lay their first eggs, which will be small and weak-shelled. Over time they will lay more frequently, the eggs will become larger and the shells harder. By six months, the pecking order will be established, and their combs and wattles will be fully formed.

I lost a beautiful White Plymouth Rock who was big, so I bought 2 chicks. One is a White Rock and one turned out to be a Delaware. At 5 months my White rock is smaller than the Delaware. Maybe she is a slow grower. Are we looking at 8 months for a White Plymouth Rock to be full grown? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom