at what age does a hen lay her 1st egg

So where can i go to get 26 hours of day light ??
idunno.gif

You need to be on an airplane, one that doesn't charge a fee for bringing your flock on board.

OK....seriously, to the OP. I had a batch of BR and BO that hatched on July 18. First egg was Jan 03, and I'm now getting about 4-5 eggs a day. They're coming online one by one, but not all are laying. One of the BO's looks like she's going to be a while.

Last edited:
Ok, so here's a new issue: space per bird. I raised 9 hens and gave my mom 4 about a month and half ago. They are all the same age and the same breed (now 22 weeks). Mine are in a small very confined coop and run (i'm building a larger run and house as we speak). Her run is 8 by 8 feet with a coop for her 4 hens. No artificial lights in either setting.

Hers starting laying about a week after I gave them to her (only one started laying at 17 weeks (!!!), but now more are). 3 of 4 of her hens are laying. We are in the same town, so no differences in light or climate. Mine have yet to lay an egg.

I think space per bird is an issue. Otherwise, I would not be building a new coop and run.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I do know that a hen in a cage so small she can't move well will still lay regularly as long as there's still light (some commercial operations take this approach). But, those are breeds that exist to pump out eggs like nobody's business. I still can't help but think that maybe the setting your coop is in has different lighting than you mom's. Again, I'm not sure, that is just a guess. You're right about stress, but all I know is that stress can stop a hen from laying once she's started. I suppose it could also delay the onset of lay.......?

I've got a golden polish that just laid her first egg last week, at 10 months. I was starting to wonder about her, would go into the nest box but never laid till last week. Her sister polish still hasn't laid, guess it's up to her, she'll get there eventually. Not needing the eggs, both were just for a variety mix.

Overcrowding, stress and bullying can take their toll. A shy bird hiding in the corner from a meaner sister may not thrive well enough to start laying at her natural time. I hope you can let them loose to free range a bit during the day until they have a bit more square footage in their coop. Or give them something to play with such as a cabbage in a net apple bag. I only pens I have the size of your mother's are for breeding pairs and growing out the chicks recently moved from the indoor brooder.

thanks guys so it could be any day now or the spring!! i hoping for soon but understand if i have to wait !! (Arielle) how can you tell by there vet who is laying when the times come???

Back
Top Bottom