At what age should chickens start laying eggs?

Hi. Thanks for some feedback.

I live 45 mins NW of Phoenix so its hotttttt out here. 100+ the past few wks.

I have a Frizzle and a muted brown/flat feathered. 2 others are boys, and 1 Frizzles I still can't tell.

My girls are 10wks tomorrow.

They loveeee to play in their water bowls and flip them over.
So I'm looking for other options to water them.
Check out using water nipples. I have a large barrel with 8 ft og PVC and 8 nipples installed for my 15 chickens. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket hanging in the coop with 4 nipples. See some pics on my profile. I don't have pic of the bucket yet.

They loveeee to play in their water bowls and flip them over.
So I'm looking for other options to water them.
Check out using water nipples. I have a large barrel with 8 ft og PVC and 8 nipples installed for my 15 chickens. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket hanging in the coop with 4 nipples. See some pics on my profile. I don't have pic of the bucket yet.

Roughly between 16-24 weeks, but the average is 20 weeks. I am about to put mine on layer feed at 16 weeks. The feed store where I got my chicks said that this is the ideal time to put them on layer.

Our chicken run is large but muddy. I want to plant some grass seed or something to help with the mud. It's like monsoon season in Atlanta now. I have lots of shade too. Any suggestions???

I started putting sand in the run, they like it and the sand keeps their feet clean. I planted all around the run with peas, beans, marigolds and other flowers so that the can eat them through the fencing. It's well trimmed on the inside and attractive on the outside, also helps shade the run.

I will look at getting some sand in the run. I have planted all around for the girls to reach through the fence, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about grass to plant that is not coated with chemicals, or anything else that might work. Thanks flowerfaeiry
1f414.png

Our chicken run is large but muddy. I want to plant some grass seed or something to help with the mud. It's like monsoon season in Atlanta now. I have lots of shade too. Any suggestions???
I am not sure about how to keep the chickens from scratching and pecking/eating it, but I got a bag from Wal-Mart for $20. It said grows in all places. I put down some extra soil to cover the seed and then loose hay sprinkled over that. Mine came up pretty quickly and I didn't have a problem.

I just got my chickens in march and I have Rocks , reds, and silver lace none are laying yet but at times
they show there submissiveness we let them run could this be a problem I do not know much about chickens I am just learning

I just got my first egg yesterday!!!YAY
1f414.png
Anyway, Maple , was hatched in Feb. so she is 5 mo. Old. also, I just saw my Cochin trying to mate with her. I thought my Cochin was a hen, now I don't know!! Anyone have any advice? I'm so new at this. My hen that is laying now is a Rhode Island Red. I'm confused about the whole chicken mating thing. Do hens try to mate with hens??? No crowing going on.

Back
Top Bottom