At what age should chickens start laying eggs?

I just got my first egg on Saturday, it was from an Ameraucana!. My chicks were purchased on March 28, 2014, and they had just arrived at the feed store where I purchased them from. I have 3 Ameraucanas, 2 black Australorps, 2 gold-laced Wyandottes, 1 blue-laced red Wyandotte, and 2 buff Orpingtons. I thought that the Ameraucanas were later layers than some of the other breeds that I have. She showed me!
thumbsup.gif
I can't believe how much fun I am having with my chickens.

Wish I knew how old my pullets are :( anyone want to take a guess?? They were given to us and I never asked age

Wish I knew how old my pullets are
sad.png
anyone want to take a guess?? They were given to us and I never asked age
welcome-byc.gif
Okay, need to know what breed and it's hard to tell how big they are without something to compare them to. Maybe a ball of some sort, football or soccerball? I'll take a stab at it and say between 8 and 12 weeks????

Last edited:
I was told they were RIR chickens :) here they are by our kiddos swingset (hope that helps a tiny bit lol)

So just want to make sure I am clear. If my 8 chicks are 11-13wks I should keep them on chick starter feed. Running to grab a 25 lb bag of chick starter feed. After this 25lb bag then I should be safe to get the layer feed.

Hi;
I have 4 hens and they are 22 and 24 weeks old and I still don't have eggs. 2 legg horn, 1 barred Rock and 1 Rhode Island Red. I have an older hen I rescued Americana and she lays eggs. What am I doing wrong?

Back
Top Bottom