At what age should I expect eggs? I have Ameracaunas

sbtwomey

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Just wondering what age to expect eggs from my Ameracauna hens. Thanks. And when should I start giving extra calcium?

I would give calcium as soon as she begins laying.Most chickens squally start between five to sixth months.Some May stay early as four months,while some could wait till eight or nine month.Kind of a waiting game for them.
Is she squatting?What is the age?

Do you have bred to standard, sourced from a private breeder ameraucana or hatchery bred, sourced from a retail store like the local co-op, "ameraucana"? The former will generally mature more slowly, lay a bit later and lay a little less prolifically. ..the latter will mature more quickly, lay sooner and be more prolific

My ameraucanas started laying at 17 weeks, then others at 18-19 weeks.....Just a sea of sapphire blue eggs in all the nesting boxes! some fertile, hatched into 7 more birds!
Sooo cute to watch them hatch, and mama hen watching over them

Do you have bred to standard, sourced from a private breeder ameraucana or hatchery bred, sourced from a retail store like the local co-op, "ameraucana"? The former will generally mature more slowly, lay a bit later and lay a little less prolifically. ..the latter will mature more quickly, lay sooner and be more prolific
They came from a hatchery abd are just hitting 5 months

I would give calcium as soon as she begins laying.Most chickens squally start between five to sixth months.Some May stay early as four months,while some could wait till eight or nine month.Kind of a waiting game for them.
Is she squatting?What is the age?
Not noticing any squatting, they are 5 months old now

It can vary wildly. I had one begin laying at 16 weeks which is quite early, and then another that was almost 40 weeks (!). Normal is between 20 and 24 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom