At what age to neuter puppy?

Of the dogs I have currently.

1 was adopted from shelter already spayed
1 was adopted as 12 week old and neutered at that age - no problems
1 was adopted as 10 week old and neutered at that age - no problems
1 was adopted as 12 week old and spayed at that age - no problems

A lot of vets wont do it until 4 to 6 months. That is kind of "old school" any more. Keep in mind, vets often charge by the pound for neutering.

At the very least 8 weeks or 2lbs is the bare minimum. 12 week old healthy pup with descended testicles? SNIP SNIP

We weighed the boys almost 2 weeks ago. 7# and 10#. Please do not say they are gonna be 150#.
th.gif

Mutts.

The mother looks like she might be a border collie mix and the dad is a curly furred, curly tailed dog about the same size as the mom.

ETA: Dad might be a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

Last edited:
It absolutely not true that you need to wait until 6 months. Some people believe that dogs won't fill out fully until they are older, so if they want to wait, fine, but if your vet won't do it, they are probably just wanting to wait so that they can charge you more. It is done based on the size of the dog, so I would recommend getting it done as soon as possible. Our dog was done at 8 weeks old, no problems whatsoever. I volunteer at our Humane Society and dogs and cats are routinely done at 8 weeks. I will recommend early spay/neuter to anyone. Especially if they are just going to be your well-loved pets. Recovery time is much better, it's way easier to handle a groggy 10 lb pup than a groggy 60 pound dog, and no ill effects. It won't stop the males from lifting their legs, but at least you won't have to look at those things swinging around back there!

Oh and your dogs will probably be around 40 pounds full grown. Nice medium sized pups! Also-thank you for getting them neutered!!

Edit to add: we posted at the same time...WHAT ADORABLE PUPS!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! I am a firm believer in spaying and neutering. The only animal in the last 20 years that I have had that I didn't get done, was a male cat (feral), and I couldn't ever catch him to take him.

Those are such sweet faces!!
love.gif
I would also neuter ASAP, they are old enough and since they aren't necessarily working dogs, show dogs, or breeding dogs there's not really a need to keep them intact. Since they are going to be a medium sized dog there's not an issue of the immature skeletal structure, especially since they are coated. Don't forget to train them!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom