At what age will I be able to tell what breed?Pic added

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feather and mountain man, Feb 26, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    I got some live peanuts and have thought about keeping one or two if they are of the brown egg layer breeds. So at what age will I be able to tell.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    If you post a pic we can try to help figure out the breed. Most of the time they send male packing peanuts anyway.

3. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Post pictures! I'm not great at recognizing breeds but some people on here are. They might help!

4. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Most of them look like this some have a lil less yellow on head and some have more. I think they are all the same breed.
    [​IMG]

5. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Looks like you have a brown egg layer breed, the Barred Rock from what I can tell from the pic.

EDIT: I just realized that the chick isn't barred [​IMG] Maybe Australorp?

6. feather and mountain man

Jan 17, 2010
    Oh I hope so! I love my 2 barred rock hens! Are they aggresive roosters though I had one that I had raised from a baby and it turned out to be mean. I hope that is not a character of the breed.

Ok so what is the difference to look for maybe I should post pics of more ???

I would be even happier with BA

7. bantamsrmyfav

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Yes I heard that Barred Rock roosters are mean but don't worry because he's not a barred rock. Now I'm going with australorp or black star. Which I believe are both brown egg laying breeds. [​IMG]

8. bantamsrmyfav

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Well black star chicks and australorp chicks are easily identifable when they are day olds but at his age (3 weeks?) I can't really tell at this point. [​IMG]

9. bantamsrmyfav

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Ohh and black star roosters aren't black so I am sticking with BA. Anyone else agree that he is a BA?

10. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    LOL! Well I had a wonderful Barred Rock Roo. He was a friendly guy. My Dh favorite. But the coons got him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by