At what age?

MyChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
N.E. Pennsylvania
I have 6, 5 week old golden comets. These little girls have grown big very quickly. They have started using their temp. roosting pole in the indoor pen and I was wondering if this is a good time to move them out into the coop. We lost all of our previous 4 bantams to a dreadful dog! (which has since been restrained by the neighbor ugh!) Does anyone have an idea at what age/size these chicks can start using thei permenant coop? This is our first time raising "babies" so we're new at this part. Any suggestions and help is welcome. Thank you....

Well if they are completely feathered out on there back and neck they should be fine yet what has the weather been like over towards you? I put my Comets out about that age but I live in GA.

I just put out mine last week when they were 5 wks. old. I did separate a small section of the coop for them to keep them away from the other hens. I will later integrate them with the rest of the flock alittle by little.

Mary

Weather has been mild, though expecting severe t-storms today so I may wait 1 more day....they are feathered and fiesty! lol....temps been in the mild 80's so I'm thinking the sooner the better. Just wasn't sure if there was a standard guideline on age.

I'd say now is a good time to move them to their coop. As long as they have their feathers & your coop is secure & protectected from the wheather. It will take at least 1-2 weeks for them to feel at home & return at dusk when you open the door. Be sure to keep the treats for that all-important night-time routine. It helps get them home faster!
thumbsup.gif
Good luck!

I'm in the south where its really, really hot. I put mine out at 9 days old and they are 6 wks old now. They love it. Just watch your temps and make sure they don't get cold...

the earlier you can get them out the better (IMO) depending on the type of bird i start them out around 3-4 weeks old. Well I put them in there coops for one week solid without opening it up to free range, (if you do free range) that way they know where there saftey is.

I start mine in a little tykes toy box until they fly, and then they go in a dog crate until they are 4 weeks old, and then they in a cage outside in the chicken run until they are 8 weeks old, and then I let them out with the hens. I have an uncovered run, but we don't have problems with flying predators, and 4 legged ones only come around here at night.

Quote:
Yes it has been my experience that 1 full week in the coop for adjustment purposes is imperative before allowing the free range which we have done with our chickens in the past. As I had mentioned earlier I had purchased mature chickens in the past so these are our first "babies'...which I'm finding great pleasure with as they have adopted me as mom....guess I'll be out scratching the dirt up soon enough lol

Back
Top Bottom