at what age...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristip, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I have heard so many thoughts... what are yours as far as ages that EE and BO will start laying... Mine are 15 weeks old and my EE has a very red comb and my BO is getting very red in face and comb. THis pic does not show the red in the comb as well as real life. [​IMG]

ANy thoughts

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    my ee started laying at 17 weeks, but they started laying when all my other girls started laying after their winter break I'm not sure if all the harmones in the air caused them to lay early but I don't think it was good for them, I got many soft eggs and double yolks. and I gave 2 other chicks I hatched at the same time to a friend down the road these were a rir/ black orp cross and they didn't start till about 22 weeks.

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Here in the U.K it can be hit and miss with ages, my orps were about 20 weeks this year before we got eggs as they were late summer hatches. I find my tend to work around the weather a lot. Usually folks say between 18 and 21 weeks is the norm [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by