At what age????

Chickadee55

Songster
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
Central Florida
How old was your chicken when she laid her first egg?? Mine are 3 months old........nothing yet.
D.gif

One book I read said 10-14 weeks but I'm beginning to think that must have been a special breed. I've been reading some posts in the forum and it seems it typically takes a bit longer. I would say 4 months is a good estimate, but some people have waited 5 months for their first egg! I also read that a sign that they are about ready is when their combs turn red.

We have 3 RI Reds and 3 Ameracaunas just shy of 3 months.... cannot wait for the eggs to start!
D.gif

Hens 'generally' start laying around 20 weeks old. I had some that started then and others that did not start till 30 weeks old. Every hen is different. My BOs started laying at 20-22 weeks. My Polish were well over 7 months before they started laying.

Our 13 week old red sex link just laid her 2nd egg. She skipped 1 day and then laid us another one. We noticed her making more noice than usual, plus her comb was really bright red. Our roo who is the same breed and same age has been acting odd and then starting mating her and a few other tan sex links as well. We are just thrilled because we had thought we would be lucky if we had an egg at 4-6 months. They are about the size of a medium size egg you would get at the grocery store. We are still feeding them the starter so we can't wait until we start them on the layer feed.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom