At what point do I toss eggs that don't hatch?

How many times has that happened?
I'd wait until at least day 24-25.
It's the only time I've seen it, but I'm only out there twice a week (they're at my MIL's and although she's great about food, water, and egg collection, she doesn't sit and cuddle/watch them much). Of course, two weeks after she went broody, everyone else wanted to try and nests were tight for a bit. I added backup boxes (milk crates attached to the wall with desk organizers in them to hold the shavings in), which seems to have helped. I'm wondering if maybe one of the bossy hens chased her out, though there weren't any extra eggs.
I've decided to leave the eggs until tomorrow, on the off chance anything hatches, because she's looking okay and she was pretty edgy with me, so I didn't want to pull an egg to candle. It'll be easier for me to get her broody box set up then, anyways, since we're spending the weekend out there this week.

I pulled the eggs yesterday morning and cracked a few. From what I see here I think she made it about 16 days, there wasn't a lot of room left in the egg and feathers were starting to form, but the eyes were still slightly exaggerated and they didn't seem cramped yet.
I broody boxed her yesterday since she kept trying to get back in her nest, but this morning she went right out with her sisters to check the compost for treats.

Back
Top Bottom