At what (size, feather stage, age, or other) point, should an inexperienced person be able to credib

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SharkmanDan, Aug 10, 2014.

1. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aside, from the obvious answer, of being when they are old enough to do that, which roosters and hens do, best, when should I be able to take info gleaned from you folks, and reliably determine gender, on some of my babies? I have 12 of 20 chicks ordered, who have survived a predator getting access to the grow out pen, that were ordered straight run. Another ten, were ordered as females, and then, there's the "mystery chick", most certainly a male. They hatched around June 22, it's getting close to caponizing time. How do I determine which is what gender?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It varies by breed - what breed(s) do you have?

3. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

My Ameracaunas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Delaware-Hampshire Crosses and Sultans, are 7 weeks old. My Gold Laced Wyandottes, are about 3-3 1/2 weeks old.
    I'd like to caponize the elder males, as soon as possible.
    Also, the Polish are older than that, but unknown the age.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Definitely put up pics of the older ones, people on here should be able to tell you what gender some of them are now! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by