At what temp do you add a heat lamp???

Quote:
You live in Texas...how low do the winter lows get? Easy for you--not so easy for others in northern climes.

Quote:
You live in Texas...how low do the winter lows get? Easy for you--not so easy for others in northern climes.

I agree it is "harder" up here in the far north. It simply is a bit more work. I gather eggs twice a day, instead of just once, to prevent having frozen eggs. The waterer needs changing out every day as well. Even though I use the simplest of systems, it still equates to something to keep an eye on. Yes, it is somewhat harder. I find cleaning coop harder as well. Don't enjoy it as much in zero weather, but needs doing. Have to plow out a path to barn too, but that's not too awful bad either.
I still believe it would be harder to deal with 109F in Texas heat, though. Much harder.

69833_dscf2994.jpg

69833_dscf2951.jpg

Quote:
This question has prompted the usual answers...
Unfortunately it never seems to be the people with actual experience heating coops who answer these posts (are they intimidated?)
I don't have experience with it yet, but I know there are pet chicken owners who do add heat to their coops in the winter, and do it successfully.

Myself, I'll probably use a flat panel heater, such as this, instead of a heat lamp on nights when it's below freezing:
http://www.shopthecoop.com/mm5/merc...re_Code=STC&Product_Code=1FP&Category_Code=He

It is a safer option than a heat lamp. I plan to use this in conjunction with my coop's good ventilation, so that it will keep things dry (we have very damp, sleety/icy winters in my state) and keep my girls from getting frostbite. Heat actually aids evaporation (of the chickens moist breath, as someone mentioned). As long as the moisture has an escape (ventilation) there is no moisture build-up and the coop is dryer than it would be without heat....Science 101. Ever wait for paint to dry in a cold room???

If you do opt for a heat lamp, there are fixtures, such as this, that make it safer, when secured to the ceiling or wall:
http://www.shopthecoop.com/mm5/merc...ore_Code=STC&Product_Code=I&Category_Code=HBL

(BTW-I'm not promoting this site--never ordered from it and don't know if I will--Home Depot is probably a cheaper alternative)

Either way, you can use a thermo-cube, or a thermostatically controlled outlet--this is a special adapter that turns whatever is plugged into it on automatically at 35 degrees, and off at 45 degrees. I just plan to keep my eye on the temperatures and make sure that the coop interior doesn't fall below freezing. I may never even need to turn the panel on--who knows? During the day, they can come and go as they like. There are a lot of safe options available in this day and age that, if used with a modicum of common sense, won't lead to catastrophe.

And I agree, heat is a great danger--but the OP was asking about winter weather. We can debate summer cooling in a few months, when someone will undoubtedly bring up the hidden dangers of misting systems...

Not that I disagree with you, but my RIR got frostbite on her comb last year. She's OK now. Their coop is a converted stall in a heated barn, but when it gets to 25 below out even the water freezes. That's after locking the horses in and turning the barn into Fort Knox. There is one 250w heat lamp in the pen, in the coop, in the stall, in the barn for the babies (2 months old now). Plus the walls are all insulated to keep drafts out. No ceiling, so I hope I don't have to worry about moisture. The lamp only goes on when it's below freezing. I felt so bad for Penny when the tips of her comb turned black - it must have been painful. I got frostbite on my toes 20 years ago and it still hurts when they get cold.

Never used any kind of heater in my coop. Don't have any insulation either. I think people get hung up on using a heater just to make themselves feel better. The chickens sure don't need it, and plenty has been said about how it can actually cause harm to them(Fire, loss of acclimation to the cold). The front of my coop is wide open year round. I have gone out there when the weather is at it's worst. You know where the chickens are? They are right at the open front watching the day go by. Alot of people seem to think they would be huddled together along the back wall hating life, but they don't. They, most of them , don't seem to like walking in snow (And who can blame them for that, with their short legs) But they will come out on some of the coldest days, where even I don't want to be out there. Chickens can handle the cold, Don't waste your time and run up your electric bill for nothing.
Jack

Last edited:
Good question. I don't plan on heating my coup but is there a point when one should? And what temp would it be? -20F or 0F or in the teens. I know that many of us do not heat the coup but does anyone have an answer as to when it might be a good idea to suplement heat?

Quote:
You are merely re-asking the OP's question. There have been over a dozen responses here and hundreds and hundreds given on other threads with essentially this same question. Here's a current thread with over 82 pages of discussion. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122&p=1

If
you want to add heat, please do so. As for how cold it should be when you do? We have Floridians here who think 40 or 50 is a desperate situation that calls for extreme measures.
big_smile.png

I live in Northern Michigan. No sense asking me, because most folks don't want to hear what guy who keeps chickens in the far north thinks.
smile.png
Most folks just want someone to agree to a position they already hold as true. Human nature. I'd heat my barn if someone else will pick up the tab. Shoot, I could move a TV and Lazy Boy recliner out there for the New Year's Day football games.
big_smile.png
(all of the above said mostly in jest. No harm intended).

Quote:
The barn is 'naturally' vented. As in, it's a barn, with steel doors on the ends and six wooden ones and nothing fits together after years of being severely beaten by 1200 pound crap factories. It has a 2 story ceiling, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom