At what tep is it to cold for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackers619, Oct 12, 2016.

1. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    My ducks free range from sun rise to sun set and at night we keep them in a large dog pin with roof... over nights are dropping to about 45 f we when should we move their pin in to garage at night

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    1 person likes this.
  3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ducks come with their own down coats. As long as there is ventilation, they will be fine. It seems you are south of Atlanta, you shouldn't need to worry about moving anything into the garage for winter.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I am in Canada...Ducks only need to get out of the wind and have straw down to huddle in during the day to keep their feet warm..Mine sleep in a Dog house at night that I lock them into...Feed and water always available during the day...Ducks are tough..

Cheers!

5. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    Thanks everyone i was only asking because i had 3 pekin ducks that were not locked up at night so they could go where they wanted at night and many mornings found them sleeping in the garage but someone from a different neighborhood let their dogs out and they came on my property and killed my ducks so i learned a hard lesson and keep my new ducks locked up at night but was unsure how they handled the colder weather

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's a shame. I had new neighbors and their dogs came over and killed a duck or two here as well. Locking birds up for safety is different ... we all have varying concerns, my flock has access to shelters but are left penned only at night and my winters can be um, something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by