ate my first raised chicken, odd

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by deerchooper, Feb 27, 2014.

1. deerchooper

deerchooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    warren, ohio
    hello,

well I ate my first raised chicken today, rir 7 months old. I was shocked how tough it was. when they get to that age are they stew style only?

what do you do for a chicken that age?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    fresh chicken is a whole different story. it wasnt too old. it was fresh!!! there are a couple things you can do. one is a salt something. haha the other is freezing it before you cook. the ice crystals break the meat down and make it more tender.

3. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    As it is a rir it it will never taste like a store chicken siince it is a layer hen not a meat hen but if u should ever eat one that is rir you should eat it at 4 months old but it will never be tender like a store chinken unless you buy broilers.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Make sure you let it rest to get rid of the rigor mortis and if you roast it, go low and slow. Low temp and longer cooking time.

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wyodreamer is right on the money - age the bird perhaps even in a brine and then cook it 'low and slow'.

6. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    look up a recipe for this: coq au vin. Rooster in wine, cooked low and slow. My favorite way to cook an older bird. 7 months is older in eating chicken terms, unless you are used to it. The birds you get in the grocery store are only about 8 weeks old (tops). Even some of the heritage "ranger" type birds or slow growing broilers are processed before 20 weeks.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A real chicken will always be a tad chewier than the baby chickens sold in the stores, so you'll not get away from chewy but tough can be managed. I can all my old birds into the jar to use for soups, stews, etc.

Six month and younger I marinate in lemon juice, ACV, garlic, and BBQ sauce and grill that bird! The best grilled chicken ever!

8. deerchooper

deerchooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    warren, ohio
    thank you

after reading some more I found out the time lines (age) for cooking older birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by