1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Atkins anyone?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SterlingAcres, Nov 20, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Is anyone else on it at the moment? I think it was probably the dumbest idea I've ever had to start a few weeks before Thanksgiving. LOL! I really want pie.
    Ideally, I'd like to drop a few lbs by Christmas. If anyone is on Atkins, how do you plan to cope with the holidays? What are some of your favorite snacks? What does your daily schedule look like? [​IMG]

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have made plans to start the Adkins diet right after Thanksgiving. Not before though. This is my favorite holiday!!
    My sister did this diet last year and lost 60 pounds and has managed to keep off all but 10 of it.

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    LOL! My father drops 40lbs in a month every time he's on it, but he just can't give up bread, so he gains it all back.
    We're traveling for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I'd like some nice clothes to see relatives in. Not my usual ripped jeans and DHs tee shirts... but I want to buy them a few sizes smaller. [​IMG]

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    When I was on Adkins I lost 17 lbs in 14 days. I had an old book and it had recipes for a special roll I used to make them and have a hamburger for lunch.I forget the recipe but if you look around you might find an older copy. You can still eat all the turkey you want and a nice salad, pickles and cheese and deviled eggs. Just remember to drink alot of water on that diet when you eat alot of protein you need to drink alot of fluids to flush it out.

5. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I think I'm covered there. I push myself to drink a gallon a day. I'm in the bathroom every hour for sure. LOL Small bladder.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I've lost 42 lbs and cured my hypertension by going low carb. When I want pie, I make pumpkin cheesecake. http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denver-LowCarb-Examiner~y2008m11d7-Recipe-Low-Carb-NoBake-Pumpkin-Cheesecake

Also
    try the peanut butter fudge recipe on that site. It will stop a sweet craving in it's tracks [​IMG]

The rolls previously mentioned are called revolution rolls. I personally don't like them. I make squash cakes instead. http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...1d17-Recipe-Low-Carb-Squash--Sausage-Stuffing (pic under the stuffing recipe)

Fellow Examiner columnist Jamie Van Eaton makes a variation of those rolls called "Oopsie Rolls". http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/01/sailor-scouts-make-my-revol-oopsie.html

You
    may like those.

7. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you so much for the recipies~!!!!!
    They are really going to help!

8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Shellie, I lost 67 lbs 6 years ago on Atkins. It works great while you're on it just like any diet. It's when you quit that it seems to all go back on twice as fast. PS You just got that bread machine . . . that's an Atkins killer in the making! Good luck![​IMG]

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    We lost alot of weight on atkins. Me 30# and him 60# on atkins. There were 2 things i noticed about it. If you work really hard to not eat carbs for the first 4 days......you really begin to lose the cravings and your appetite decreases. and the other thing i learned is that if you dont cheat once in a while, you will blow it completely. I set a rule that one day a week i would eat what i chose to eat. Basically your body is burning fat so well from the 6 days you did so good, that the cheat day did nothing. I got the big atkins book and read it 15 times util i understood why it worked, and i found that to help alot too. It also tought me alot about how our body works and why people get diabetes. Most people who develop diabetes after age 40, did it with their own diet. If you do atkins all the way to thanksgiving, and then stop for one day, it will be better than not trying at all. Dont worry about one day, and enjoy the holiday [​IMG]

10. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I too lost a few pounds on Atkins a few years ago, but gained it back right away plus some extra!!!!!! Atkins dosen't teach you the habits to be healthy the rest of your life.

I am currently on a program called "Take shape for life" It is DR. approved and teaches you to eat right and be healthy the rest of your life. I spent this past weekend at a seminar with hundreds of people who's lives have been transformed forever. Many suffered from diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease, but are now living medicine free and healthier than ever.

The program is easy, as it uses meal replacements together with a lean and green healthy meal. It teaches us to eat 6 small meals a day to keep blood sugar regulated. I am never almost never hungry or have the cravings for junk food that I used to always have.

Anyways.......for more info, check out my website at www.gofigure.tsfl.com

I believe in this program so much that I've joined the company!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by